Thursday, December 22, 2011

Why Are Sappy Farewells Always So Sappy? (May 2008)

Originally published for the Bismarck State College Mystician back in May, 2008.

These final days of school have me becoming increasingly frustrated. It's not because of finals or catching up on makeup work, but because I can't get "Here's to the Night" by Eve 6 out of my head. Oh well, it's better than Vitamin C's "Graduation."
I never understood the need for cheesy musical sentiment over this subject of "fond farewells" until now. As the last weeks come to pass I have finally awoken from the daze of studying and realize, "Oh, my god, I'm going to graduate."
For three years I have dedicated myself to this school and many of its extra-curriculars - perhaps too many as my grades would. I have come to learn to love this school for all it has given me, despite my early frustration of BSC being my "back-up" school. And despite my bitterness and unfair referral to this place as "burger-flipping college" have come to respect this institution and would be willing to defend its honor from critics.
As school comes to an end, so does a legacy. I have begun to acknowledge the achievements and experiences I have accumulated here, particularly from the Mystician. This year was a long time in coming as I finally reached editor status. And after it all this time and work, I find that I must start all over again in a whole new university.
I suppose it's for the best. It's best not to get too comfortable in one place. Life is about change and progression. Staying in one place too long stunts growth and life becomes dull. I'm about ready for a change. However, the idea of change is pretty crazy.
I'm going to be heading to Moorhead next year, and it feels insane leaving this city and school. Going from living at home to living on my own in a a strange new city seems scary.
It may seem corny, but I am becoming really sentimental over this place. There are so many great teachers and friends here that it's really hard to leave. Now comes the really cheesy part where I tell everyone to cherish their memories and such. All clichés aside, people don't realize how emotional one can get when they're about ready to leave somewhere and begin saying their goodbyes.
It's only natural for us to cling to the familiar as long as we can. As long as it doesn't become a hindrance in our progress, there's nothing wrong with being sentimental. But we can't always cling to the past. Eventually, we need to learn to let go and let life lead us forward.
I, too, must be ready to make these changes and become prepared to endure the upcoming trials. So I say my farewells and ask that everyone wish me the best of luck - I'm probably going to need it. For those who are also heading to new places this coming year, I wish you luck as well. Just remember these words, "As we go on, we remember, all the times we've spent together." Damn it, now I have Vitamin C stuck in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment