Thursday, October 13, 2011

What's Next, Beaming Music Directly Into The Brain? (Sept. 2007)

Originally published for the Bismarck State College Mystician back in September, 2007.


I have fought a fierce battle my whole life and that battle has been the "technologically resistant." Whether it's been arguments over the rise of computers with older generations or the frustrations with those in my Intro to Computers class, who find the simplest functions too complex to learn. However, I recently found myself joining the renegades against the advancement of technology. Back in the day, children of the '60s and '70s resisted trading their old vinyl records for shiny new CDs. Now I've come to face a similar crisis: the death of the compact disc.
Simply put, iTunes is my sworn enemy. As I've embraced the digital music age, I've always resisted converting to Apple's super-convenient media player. Up until now iTunes came out, I denied how digital music was slowly killing off the album. For as long as I can remember, I defended downloading music from programs such as Napster, Morpheus, Kazaa and Limewire because I assumed everyone downloaded like I did.
Over the years, I embraced many different genres – both mainstream an obscure – and have come to learn of many new artists. Upon learning about these artists, I would quickly switch on Limewire and type in their name. As I saw the numerous file names accumulate onto my screen, my heart would race as I imagined the experience of hearing this brand new artist. I would rummage through the list and find a few decent sounding songs. Soon, my media player would begin a search to carry over these new files to my database.
As I listened, I would make a quick judgment of their sound. After learning more about the artist I would make another decision, "Are they good enough for a purchase?"
I use today's digital technology as an infinite sample catalog. I download a couple songs, decide whether I like it and go out and buy their CD. I condoned illegal downloading because I thought everyone was using it the same way. Imagine my disappointment when I learned otherwise. Then legal downloading came in the form of digital stores and I think my heart died a little that day.
As much as I love my digital catalog, to me there's nothing better than buying an album. Once every two weeks, after payday arrives, I check the local music stores stores. It's a thrill to hand over my hard earned cash and hold a branch spanking new CD. As I hold the newly purchased CD, my hands slowly tremble at the need to open the casing right there and pop it into a CD player.
But sadly, this is not the norm anymore. More and more music stores, like my old friend Sam Goody (I'll miss you, buddy) are dying out and I blame Apple.
Anyone who knows me, knows my vindictive hatred of Apple and everything they stand for. When Apple issued the iPod, everybody danced with joy as music became even more compact. Since then, the iPod has grown smaller in size and bigger in popularity. It's shocking to see so many carrying these little devices around. What so many people don't realize is how this new online trend is affecting record stores. As more digital stores continue to pop up, record stores slowly go out of business. Could these little devices really replace the album completely?
I may be a traditionalist, but there's something about an album that files stores on a hard drive cannot replace. I shudder to think that eventually all music will be sold digitally and even stores such as Sam Goody and F.Y.E. will be all digital. Instead of purchasing a CD, I see myself eventually going up to a counter and having the clerks install music directly into some kind of portable storage device.
But I'll continue to fight, even if it means years from now being the loan individual buying CDs out of old antique stores. Yes, even as I type this, I already lose faith in my cause as I find myself listening to my freshly purchased iPod shuffle.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete